Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August 17, 2011: This is it!--Hermana Bowles

Hola familia!

Well....this is it! It is officially my last five days in the CCM and I can't believe it. No travel plans yet, not even a firm leaving date. I'm most likely leaving Tuesday morning. Saturday proselyting was wonderful. We had a list of less-actives and went with two members of the ward to find them. I love Hermana Vera as my companion. Somehow it's easier to teach people when your companion is the same age that you are. Our goal this week was to practice five minute teaching moments with other missionaries everyday after lunch to learn how to teach more principles. She's great and makes me talk and testify as much as I can before she'll help. We get along really well and she's just as excited to learn English as I am to learn Spanish.

No dogs sniffed up my skirt on Saturday and we saw a peruvian ice cream man! He was dressed in all yellow with a newsies cap and was riding around on an all yellow bike with this cab thing on the front. He went around calling out to people with his little horn and playing music. I felt like I was sitting on our front yard during the summer and watching the ice cream truck go by! The members we were with on Saturday were really neat because they were the Primary president and chorister so they worked with the ward families a lot. The primary president told me how she was a member growing up and then went inactive when she got married. She and her husband said the ward was really unfriendly and after they moved, all they wanted to do was go back to the other ward.....that is, until a new member man in their ward took it upon himself to reactivate them! He would come by their house, smile, greet with hugs, call them about coming to church or why they didn't come. She said he helped us come back and now I can do the same for others. The church is true, but sometimes it's the members who drive people away. awesome, huh?

The Whetten's still aren't back yet, but we were told he had surgery to remove a tumor on his pancreas on Monday. No real word yet, but we probably won't get a chance to see them before all of us leave in a few days. The CCM isn't the same without them here.....let's just say it's a lot more chaotic. The food tastes great!! wow....i can't believe i just typed that. Never thought I'd see the day when I would say the rice tastes good, but it's true!woohoo!! One of the teachers told us about a village greeting ritual up in lima north where they chew up yuccah and then give it to you to eat for welcoming or something......sick.....but i'm ready! If rice tastes good now, I can handle anything!

Here's an awesome quote from preach my gospel on page 199. It basically defines my leaving next week. Brigham young said, "If all the talent, tact, wisdom, and refinement of the world had been sent to me with the Book of Mormon, and had declared, in the most exalted of earthly eloquence, the truth of it, undertaking to prove it by learning and worldly wisdom, they would have been to me like smoke which arises only to vanish away. But when I saw a man without eloquence or talents for public speaking, who could only say, I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the BOM is true, that JS is a Prophet of the Lord, the Holy ghost proceeding from that individual illuminated my understanding, and a light, glory, and immortality were before me. I was encircled by them, filled with them, and I knew for myself that the testimony of the man was true. awesome, huh? Oh and today I bought a book of mormon in Quechua!! It's a tribal language that is definitely something missionaries in Cusco have to learn, and sometimes used in Lima North. awesome! I love being a missionary!!


Love always, Hermana Bowles

No comments:

Post a Comment