Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wednesday December 19, 2012: Hermana Bowles

Hermana Bowles returned from her mission to the Peru Lima North Mission last night December 18, 2012.  It was quite the eventful day.  She originally was suppose to land at the Salt Lake Airport at 11:50 am.  We woke up early and were hustling and bustling around getting everything ready--the house, food, signs, balloons, etc.  The phone rang about 15 minutes before we had to leave and it was Jeff saying that Kristin had called and they were delayed 2 hours on the runway in Lima and therefore missed their connecting flight in Atlanta so wouldn't be arriving until 4:30 pm.  Disappointed but not surprised because delays are typical in Peru, we began the waiting game.  Well, a couple hours later we got another call that informed us there was another delay and they wouldn't be arriving until 7:30 that evening on stand-by or 9:00 for sure!  We tried to fill the day but as the Mom, I must say that it was the longest day of my life!  Needless to say she will miss her hair appointment and her release interview but oh well, that's the way it goes some times.  A sweet Elder called us at about 5:30 pm and said that Hermana Bowles was definitely on the flight to arrive at 7:30!  Thank you Elder Higgins for the wonderful news.  Jeff and I and Melissa and Grandma drove to the airport eagerly awaiting Kristin's arrival.  Bruce, Jolie and Kevin came next.  Then Lauri and Ron and all of their kids, spouses and little Jack were on Temple Square looking at the lights and popped over to the airport to greet Kristin.  When she came down the escalator  it was pure joy.  She looked great--very tired but great.  She was freezing so I'm glad we brought her jacket for her.  
It will take a bit of time for her body to get used to the "non-jungle" climate here in Utah.  The weather gave her a nice welcome of beautiful white snow everywhere--it is exceptionally gorgeous.

Today, December 19 Hermana Bowles met with President Young, our Stake President and was released as a full-time  missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It was a bitter-sweet moment.  We are so proud of her for the work that she did in Peru, for her strong testimony and for willingness to serve the Lord and give it her all.  We are thankful for our sweet daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment